Client server technology
Definition of Cient-Server:
- A client is defined as a requester of services and a server is defined as the provider of services. A single machine can be both a client and a server depending on the software configuration.Client-server software architecture is versatile and flexible in today’s fast-changing IT landscape.
- It is modular in structure and relies on messaging services for communication between components. They were designed to improve flexibility, usability, scalability, and interoperability. Software flexibility implies the ability for a program to change easily according to different users and different system requirements.
Characteristics of a Client:
- Initiates requests
- Waits for replies
- Receives replies
- Usually connects to a small number of servers at one time
- Typically interacts directly with end-users using a graphical user interface
Characteristics of a server:
- Never initiates requests or activities
- Waits for and replies to requests from connected clients
- A server can remotely install/uninstall applications and transfer data to the intended clients
Client/server describes the relationship between two computer programs in which one program, the client, makes a service request from another program, the server, which fulfills the request.